Monday, August 2, 2010

The Beauty of Perfection

What I love about perfection is that it’s stress-free. I didn’t really understand that until I went to Japan. One day when I was lying on my bed talking to God, I expressed some pent up frustration, “God, I want to be perfect like You, but goodness! I can’t quite seem to make the grade!” Then the Holy G stirred my spirit with a thought that was absolutely encouraging. I sensed Him saying, “Your idea of perfection and God’s idea of perfection are completely different. You attach perfection to work, but for me perfection is all about effort. All that I require of you is your best effort or perfect effort.” That was a thought that really warmed my heart because it meant that I could do my very best and perhaps not quite get things right, and still find that God is perfectly pleased with me. That’s a really kind way of looking at things. God’s sense of perfection is a lovely blend of expectation mixed with kindness and mercy. His idea of perfection favours process and progress; as long as the choices we make make us more like Him; and if we mess up at all, all He wants to know is that we re-trace our steps and give it another go. In God’s view the process is just as important as the product. So, in God, perfection is perfectly possible. Selah!

No comments:

Post a Comment