Saturday, July 3, 2010

Joie Journal - Solomon ... Selah!


Dear Diary,
I sometimes wonder about Solomon; you know, the-wisest-man-of-his-time King Solomon. He accomplished so much and started off so well. He wrote books of proverbs and even spoke to God in a dream. He was intelligent, knowledgeable, astoundingly astute … and yet … he messed up majorly! It’s made me think about what wisdom really is. It is both complex and simple. It speaks of character, spiritual perception, factual knowledge, knowing times and seasons, and connecting multiple dots, Still, when I think about Solomon, I realize that there is one foundation which supports all of those wisdom skills. It’s nothing flashy or fancy, but it’s the secret of true success … simple obedience. I can have all the knowledge in the world, be the most lettered person on the planet, and be able to expound on this and that, but if I don’t do what God tells me then my golden knowledge is really golden sand; and if I do a lot but I’m being much less, then I’m building a sand castle. I realize that God cares how I talk to the cleaners at work, and how I do my job, and how I teach my students, and how I guard my heart. I realize God cares about the big print and the fine detail. I know God feels deeply delighted when I do things the way He would do them. I know that true wisdom is in the goodness of my ‘how’ going the distance through time and circumstance with unswerving loyalty. Wisdom is seeing God’s nature and moving towards it. Wisdom is building life with care. Wisdom is building friendship with God. Wisdom is making of me a home for my Maker. Wisdom is jeweled foundations shimmering with His nature. Wisdom is simply brilliant!

1 comment: