Thursday, September 2, 2010

Joie Journal: Highly Human


Dear Diary,

When I sometimes think about life, and about my life in particular, I can’t help but think that I really want to make the most of the little time that I have been granted on this planet; and when I think about life, I can’t help but think about the Bible and the panorama of personalities that populate its pages. I see there a broad representation of people, but a very narrow band of outcomes. People either please God or they don’t; as simple as that. So when I think of all the varied characters which feature in God’s Word, I can’t help but think of people I admire like Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Ruth, and David. They were incredible people who impressed God with their simple faith and obedience, and … they were people just like me, encased within all the fragility of human nature. 
I muse … Abraham was the father of faith and a friend of God. So why can’t I be a friend of God too (it’s in our gene pool)? Noah built a boat and was a righteous man in his generation. Why can’t I shine like a star in the darkness of my times? Enoch walked with God and then was no more because God spirited him away. Why can’t I walk with God with intense loyalty and attract keenly divine interest? Ruth found God in the midst of famine and family distress. Why can’t I find God in the midst of personal crisis and find possibilities where life says they do not exist? David was a man of courage and nobility – a truly poetic character who lived through heart-break, heartache and endless hostility. Why can’t I scale any and every wall with my God and let God make a poem of my life? What can stop me? Nothing. Who can deny me? No one. As long as I make the right choices (even if it initially wrings my heart), I will find God and His favour.
I choose to be more than base clay. There’s human and then there’s human. There are heroes and heroines who have journeyed through life with God in great nobility of spirit and left a legacy for me and for many more. Their footsteps are the path I follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment