Sunday, May 2, 2010

Garden Language




Garden Language


… the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose;
It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice,
Even with joy and singing.

Isaiah 35:1-2


God simply said “let there be …” and whole worlds were created. Then he created us in His image and likeness, coding us with the same creative-faith potential. When we speak forth God’s promises and purpose in faith, our words fall like seeds in a garden. They anchor down into the soil, and though we may not see any evidence of their being for a while, eventually sprouts begin to shoot up, then flowers, fruits, and maybe even trees. Words can change desert landscapes into palm oases and spring-watered gardens. That is the beauty of faith and the reward of believing God. Circumstances can be re-ordered and wholly reversed by declaring spiritual truth into tangible reality.

Though it may seem a small thing, thankfulness is like spring rain to this our garden. It waters our hope, and purifies our heart. It fills our soul with fragrance which is pleasing to God. So whether we are sowing in tears, weeding with weeping, admiring ripening fruit or finally gathering a harvest in joy, we need to cultivate an attitude of thanksgiving and gratitude before God. Thankfulness brings the warm glow of sunshine to our lives even in the midst of spring drizzle. Thankfulness blossoms our soul with garden goodness.

I know the sorrow of journeying across seemingly endless desert. Yet, I also know the joy of finding pools and sweet aquifers below the surface. I hold on to God’s promises for my life – the ones offered in His Word and the ones specially designed for my life. I water them with my faith and thankfulness. Every day is a day to keep on believing. Along the way, I see a trail of flowers and hear birdsong that tells me that these promises are as true as the One who spoke them. God has taken me around the world when I had no money in my pockets because I poured golden faith into my prayers. That’s how I made it to Taiwan. God opened closed doors of opportunity in a flowing gush when I opened my mouth and declared good things into being. That’s how I landed in Korea. Whether through bold proclamations or song-filled worship, the faith-filled Word causes beautiful things to bloom.

Whether your skies are azure or whether the clouds are grey, now is the time to do some personal landscaping. Pray, bless, encourage, be thankful. Plant your flower patches and cultivate your orchards, because one day they will bring refreshing and sweet fruit at a time when they will be truly needed; and remember to offer bouquets and fruit-basket gifts to your neighbours and to God Himself. Be kind to others, be kind to yourself … be good to God. Bask in sunshine and sing in rain. Sing to your sorrow, and splash a rainbow across your world. Stroll through the showers singing and skipping, with your rainbow umbrella spinning in joy. For the colour of what you say will paint your day. Golden language is a divine promise.

Let your words be true
Do not lie to one another (Col 3:9)
Always be thankful towards God
In everything give thanks (1 Thess 5:18)
Navigate life by steering your tongue
… ships … are turned by a very small rudder … so the tongue (James 3:4-5)
Guard your lips
Don’t curse, make rude jokes or speak filthily (Eph 5:4)
Utter God’s Word
[speak] to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs (Eph 5:19)
Affirm God’s promises
I … meditate on your promises (Ps 119:148)
Garrison your life with prayer
[pray] always … being watchful (Eph 6:18)
Ever speak in faith
I have declared your faithfulness (Ps 40:10)

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of thankfulness as well because such a contrast exists in the earth today whereby people, adults and children alike seem to think they are entitled to everything they have! When this is cultivated in the hearts of citizens, then they feel if they are not given handouts regularly they have not been treated well and the government has not done it's job. (Yes we in Trinidad are in an Election Season and it drives me crazy how ungrateful a population can be!!)

    Hearts of gratitude are a joy to our Creator. I am taking the time to ensure I don't raise kids who think they are entitled to things but are genuinely grateful. A wise man (Paul?) once said "What do we have that was not given to us ..." (by God)?

    ReplyDelete